Biological Engineering is a profession that includes the application of mathematics, chemistry, the environment, biochemistry and biotechnology. To develop new or more efficient procedures for the manufacture of chemical compounds or diagnostic methods.
That said, it includes the application of Engineering to biological and agricultural systems, both with a strong impact on the supply of food and fibers. The degree covers all areas of agricultural and biological engineering, including food engineering, postharvest handling and processing of agricultural products, development and applications of machines and energy, use and management of resources, soil and water management, structures and their environmental modifications, synthesis of products using microorganisms and food safety.
Why Biological Engineering?
For being a vanguard profession that meets the growing demand for professionals with fundamental knowledge of biological systems that allow the development or use of technologies to obtain products of value to society.
That said, engineers and scientists are required to integrate Natural Sciences and Engineering principles, understanding the processes involved from the molecular and cellular level to the systemic level.
Finally, it is important to note that the Biological Engineer also takes care of the environment, crop storage, soil conservation, irrigation and drainage. As well as the handling of materials or structures for animals.
Where can you start?
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Food production companies.
- Public institutions of environmental competence: Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Regional Autonomous Corporations, Procurator's Offices, Comptrollerships, Environmental Directorates of Sectoral Institutions, Local Environmental Managers, among others.
- Productive companies: energy, forestry, metalworking, mining, fishing, chemical, and hydrocarbon management, among others.
WHAT CAN YOU WORK?
- Lead or participate in sustainability projects, in different roles and levels.
- Design new equipment and novel methods used in medicine, agriculture and energy systems.
- Engage in projects of scientific research, administration and production of resources and sale thereof.
- Process Engineers
- Design of products
- Project Engineer
- Development and research leaders in the food, natural products, pharmaceutical, environmental and biomedical sectors, among others.
- Interpret and apply legislation and regulations, as well as the appropriation of management tools, tools and technologies to propose sustainable alternatives in biological and environmental terms.
- Coordinates and participates in multidisciplinary teams and projects to offer solutions, develop research and innovations for the field of Biological Engineering nationally and internationally.
- Ensure effective communication in different contexts.
- It imitates biological systems to create products, modifies and controls biological systems so that they can replace or sustain chemical and mechanical processes.
- Applies its expertise to other engineering and biotechnology applications, including genetic modification of plants and microorganisms, bioprocess engineering and biocatalysis.
- It carries out studies of the environment in order to improve the methods we use today to conserve our soils, waters and other natural resources.
ADVANTAGES OF STUDYING AT INTEC
- Its teaching system is quarterly which allows you to graduate in less time than in any other university in the Dominican Republic.
- Careers have a modular structure that allow students and teachers of different careers to work interdisciplinary projects.
- INTEC prepares you to become part of a professional world that is increasingly competitive and demanding. With the help of compromised lecturers committed to excellence and innovation in learning and teaching methodologies.
- You will discover new careers and approaches and apply your knowledge in more than 50 laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- You will learn to be more independent and develop your interests in different fields taking advantage of our offer of artistic, sports and cultural activities.
"INTEC / PSU: 2 + 2" starts from August of 2009, with the possibility of becoming part of program every August (1). Students admitted to the programs included in the "2 + 2" will have an automatic provisional admission in PSU. During their training cycle at INTEC, they will receive the necessary advice and follow-up to comply with the requirements demanded by this university. Upon successful completion of the first two years, they will automatically enter the chosen career. The academic title will be issued by Penn State University and the Technological Institute of Santo Domingo (INTEC)Notes:
(1) Students who enter in August will be assured to take 2 years in INTEC and 2 years in PSU. However, students who enter the institution outside of this date are not guaranteed this period of stay; it will vary according to the terms of the foreign university.